Captain Leland "Lee" Paul Walters USMC, 1945 - 2022

10858519696?profile=RESIZE_400x

On the evening of 7 October 2022, a solemn moment was marked by the United States Marine Corps with the passing of Captain Lee Walters. In the annals of military service, Captain Walters was an esteemed Marine Corps F-4 Phantom fighter pilot who also led a squadron during the closing periods of the Vietnam War and into the 1970s. The F-4 Phantom, known for its operational prowess, was a significant combat aircraft that could achieve speeds surpassing Mach 2.2. 

The legacy of Captain Walters is carried on through his family; he is survived by his wife, Myra Bailey Walters, his sons Brandon and Cameron, his daughter Hayley, and their progeny. 

The storied heritage of the Walters and Bailey families is intertwined with the fabric of American history. Captain Walters, answering the call of duty in critical times, exemplifies this lineage of service. In parallel, Myra's family has contributed profoundly to the national defense. Myra's brother, Ronnie Bailey, distinguished himself as a U.S. Army helicopter pilot who displayed remarkable fortitude when he was shot down over Vietnam, ultimately awaiting rescue in the perilous jungle terrain. 

The family's military tradition is further exemplified by Myra's late father, H. Paul Bailey, who served valiantly as a U.S. Marine (3/7), in the Battle of Okinawa, surviving the harrowing encounters to reunite with his wife Elsie. However, this battle also brought sorrow to Myra's family, as her uncle was tragically taken by friendly fire. Further back, the martial spirit was present in Myra's grandfather, who fought in the trenches of France as a 'Doughboy' with the U.S. Army in the First World War. 

Through generations of dedicated military service, Captain Walters and the extended Bailey family have become embodiments of American valor. Their immeasurable contributions secure them a place in the annals of our nation's heroes—guardians who have steadfastly protected our liberty. In honoring Captain Lee Walters, the iconic Marine's credo 'Semper Fidelis' rings true. We honor his memory with respect and gratitude. Captain Walters' sacrifices and those of his family will be etched in our collective memory forever. Captain Walters and the Bailey family are true American heroes, our country's best, those who kept us safe for generations. Semper Fi and rest in peace Lee. We will never forget.

You need to be a member of War History Network to add comments!

Join War History Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Happy Veterans Day Captain Lee Walters.  

• Hi Scott,

Thank you for such a wonderful post.   The past few weeks have been extremely difficult for us as a family but we know dad is looking down smiling and still supporting us like he always has.   I appreciate everything you've done for my family the interest you take with all Veterans.

Semper Fi

Cameron Walters

• You're welcome Cameron. There are many thinking about all of you during this tough time. 

• Scott Lyons Thank you so much for the beautiful tribute to my dad and family. It was a heartbreaking loss and he will be forever missed. He loved serving his country as a Marine, but he was most proud of his family which was his singular focus after his days flying the F-4 were over. He leaves a tremendous legacy. Oorah! 

• Praying for you and the family Brandon.

• You're welcome Brandon. I am saddened for you and your family and speechless. So I'll just end it there. We're all here for you.

This reply was deleted.