1202597.jpg?profile=RESIZE_400x

War History members seeking a deeper understanding of the War of 1812 are well advised to look to  “Don’t Give Up The Ship”.  Unlike histories arranged chronologically or limited to a particular individual or events, this one is arranged into six topics: The Causes of the War; Battles and Campaigns; The Maritime War; Soldiers, Sailors and Civilians; The Mechanics of Waging War; and The End of the War.  Each topic is divided into several subtopics.  The subtitle, “Myths of the War of 1812” tells much about the author’s approach.  He begins with the generally accepted and examines how much is true or not.  The text is supplemented with maps, drawings and portraits. I knew a fair amount about the War of 1812 when I first picked up this work, and found the author’s format to be a very effective method of learning more.  I chose to read this book straight through, though leisurely, but it could be kept on your shelf for reference when a question pops up, as I plan to do.  Look for future articles based on its lessons I plan to post on War History Network. 

For an idea of the analysis presented in this book, let us consider the oft-offered British Impressment of American seamen as a cause of the War. Why did the British adopt impressment? Who were impressed?  How many?   Why was it a casus belli? 

Why?  The French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars raised the need for Royal Navy seamen from 36,000 in 1793 to 114,000 in 1812, during which 100,000 perished either from accident or disease.    Merchant vessels paid better.  Being chronically short of enlistments, impressment, a form of loosely structured draft, to use modern terminology, was employed in seaports and merchant vessels of Britain or those of neutrals while in British ports or on the high seas. 

Who?  British law held that no one could renounce the status of British subject, a position accepted by the United States until 1848, hence even those naturalized as American citizens were, in the British view, liable for impressment. 

How many?  Estimates vary, but 10,000 is a reasonable figure, few of whom were either naturalized American citizens or mistakenly identified American natives. 

Casus belli?  Although maritime issues were frequently mentioned at the time, impressment was likely a minor portion of that. 

That gives you an idea of the breath of analysis in one of the dozens of subjects examined. 

The War of 1812 is a little known and misunderstood period of American history between the Founding Era and the runup to the Civil War.  It was a time when America tested its muscles and learned its limitations.  It was on the Chalmette Battlefield of New Orleans on January 8, 1815 that  American and British forces fought each other for the last time.   Those possessing an interest in the early American Republic in general or the War of 1812 in particular, owe much to Professor Hickey for his scholarship and authorship.  Read “Don’t Give Up The Ship”, savor it and, whenever you have a question about the War of 1812, pick it up and read again.

Link to buy the book on Amazon

You need to be a member of War History Network to add comments!

Join War History Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I wish I had time for a more comprehensive reply- I am buried in classes right now, but as a new student of history, I find it ironic such a poignant motto for the Navy springs from an incident when they did, in fact, give up the ship. Naval history and warfare fascinate me; thank you for the review. I'll need to pick up this book. Is there an Amazon link or the like where buying the book would support this site?

Cheers,
    Kyle

This reply was deleted.