Lucky 666: The Impossible Mission

29430852.jpg?profile=RESIZE_400x

LUCKY 666: THE IMPOSSIBLE MISSION

By Bob Drury and Tom Clavin

Reviewed by Jim Gallen

Set in the Southwest Pacific during World War II Lucky 666: The impossible Mission is really three stories in one book.  The first story is a history of the Fifth Airforce that operated in the bleak, early days of the Pacific War when men and equipment left over from other theatres struggled to halt the Japanese advance and begin the long road to Tokyo.  The second story is that of a volunteer mission to photograph Bougainville in advance of American offensives.  The third is personal relationship between pilot Jay Zimmer and his bombardier Joe Sarnoski.

The part I appreciate the most is the history of air war in support General MacArthur’s forces.  This book introduces the reader to the leaders, most prominently Gen. George Kenney, MacArthur’s air chief, and the men who maintained and flew the planes.  In other readings I had heard of the generals and admirals, New Guinea, Guadalcanal and Bougainville, Midway, the Coral and Bismarck Seas and other names, but this narrative and the maps place them in context, show their relationships to each other gave me a greater understanding of this theatre of the war than I had gathered from other reading.  The details of the aircraft, such as the bombing sight, that was an important advance, the cold and thin air with which the aviators contended and the cramped quarters and danger which the gunners endured convey a sense of reality to the reader.

The saga of Luck 666 ’s run reconnaissance over Bougainville is an adventure that stimulates awe and admiration.  The B-17 bomber, the number of which ended in 666, was salvaged by its crew, modified for this specific mission, manned by volunteers, went against overwhelming odds and brought back the pictures that guided the next offensive and altered the march across the Pacific.  The accounts of the fight put out and the punishment endured are a match for any novel.

I suppose the tale of Jay and Joe is like many born in war.  I will leave it at that so War History Network readers can experience the same suspense I did.

Authors Bob Drury and Tom Clavin have crafted a history and intertwined it into an adventure that keeps you turning the pages for what comes next. It is an outstanding read for anyone interested in World War II or aerial warfare.

You need to be a member of War History Network to add comments!

Join War History Network

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –